Yesterday I created a reading list for my older daughter. She loves to read, but gets little direction on what to read. She’ll be starting seventh grade in the fall, and I thought it was time I get her going in the right direction.
The list I created is a mix of popular stuff, classics, historic, worldly. All fiction, this list. There’s a couple of brand new, some older, some from my years. A feware a probably a little challenging for her, but I figure the challenge is okay. If it’s too much, she can come back later.
For every three books she reads, she earns either a Frappuccino or an ice cream treat. She has to summarize the book and its characters: either in writing or orally. If she wants to get creative, that’s okay, too.
So, I’ve decided to share it with you all. In the next couple of days I will create one for boys as well (I’ve had a couple of requests).
Summer Reading List for Preteen/Early Teen Girls
- The Summer Before Boys–Nora Raleigh Baskin
- Saint Anything–Sara Dessen
- Homecoming–Cynthia Voigt
- Anne Frank–The Diary of a Young Girl
- To Kill a Mockingbird–Harper Lee
- Tuck Everlasting–Natalie Babbitt
- Out of the Dust–Karen Hesse
- The Secret Garden-Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe–Fannie Flag
- Harry Potter (any or all)-JK Rowling
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/The Adventures of Tom Sawyer–Mark Twain
- The Hobbit –JRR Tolkien
- Where The Red Fern Grows–Wilson Rawls
- Cry The Beloved Country–Alan Paton
- The Power of One–Bryce Courtenay
- The Chronicles of Narnia–any or all–CS Lewis
- Summer of My German Soldier–Bette Green
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings–Maya Angelou
- The Outsiders–SE Hinton
- Wuthering Heights–Emily Bronte
- Jane Eyre–Charlotte Bronte
- Pride and Prejudice–Jane Austen
- Lord of the Flies–William Golding
- Of Mice and Men–John Steinbeck
- Wildwood–Colin Meloy & nCarson Ellis
- Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children/Hollow City–Ransom Riggs
Do you have any suggestions? Any I should add? Let me know what you all think!
Keep reading and GO! Summer!!!!